Saturday, February 11, 2017

Conflict Resolution

Two strategies that I have used recently during a conflict were listening and empathy. I am constantly bombarded by complications in the work place when dealing with customers and their complaints. Last week, a customer called the office very hostile because a payment was not taken out of her account on her due date and she thought she was on automatic drafts. She was irate, I understand her frustrations due to late fees and extra accruing interest, but she was screaming at me and very disrespectful. I took the time to listen to all of her frustrations before I began to speak and also apologized before doing anything else so she could see that I was compassionate and empathize about her situation. Yes, I came up with strategies of compromise that worked on both behalves. I set her up on auto draft for next month, took a payment over the phone free of charge, and waived accrued interest back to her due date. I now have a satisfied customer and found a resolution to the issue.
Image result for nonviolent conflict resolution
In this situation, I feel all three R's were used. Respect, Response, and Resolution. I respected the customer by listening. I responded to her by showing empathy and responding in a positive manner. Then I also found a resolution by taking the payment, getting her auto draft set up, and also waiving any additional interest. She was very satisfied with the results and the office looked good for adequately handling a customer complaint. My colleagues have shared that they get better responses from the customers when they let them vent and just listen instead of interrupting them. The customers are pleased with the patience that is displayed and not being rushed away. This is essential for early childhood because parents want the same positive responses and to be treated in a manner that they are being heard and not rushed.

3 comments:

  1. It is so hard when your patience is tested and you try to be an effective communicator, it is moments like you describe that lead me to wonder, worry, second guess myself and even lose sleep over. Did I do all I could do? Was I kind enough? Being a good communicator is a never-ending journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine, listening and empathy are two things that are very difficult to master when dealing with customers. I have worked in retail for a few years now, and the attitudes that the customers have sometimes cannot be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine,
    As this course ends I would like to personally thank you for your responses weekly on both my discussions and blogs. As we move on I encourage you to keep pressing forward. I wish you well and if there is any way I can be of help to you in the future, please let me know.
    Taneisha

    ReplyDelete