Saturday, September 17, 2016

Perspectives and Diversity on Culture

I asked three people (my coworker, my cousin, and my God mother) their definition of culture and diversity and these were their replies: My co-worker is Puerto Rican, my cousin is African American, and my God mother is biracial. Their ages range from 24-45 years old and all from various classes and walks of life.

My Co-Worker (Jammy) - "culture is traditions and food that has been passed from older generations and diversity is the differences that we all display that make us unique."

My Cousin (Kemisha) - "culture is behaviors influenced by different factors like time, race, and religion and diversity is differences."

My God mother (Jwandra) - "culture is your surroundings, environment, knowledge, morals, achievements, genetic makeup and beliefs and diversity is a blend of different people, backgrounds, cultures working together."




All of the answers include some form of the things that have been discussed with us in response to diversity and culture. I believe that we all have our differing of opinions but collaboratively they all have the same symbolic meanings. There haven't been any points of omission in my opinion among the responses that were given to me.

These answers to what culture and diversity are have just shown how uniform our opinions of the meanings are. It shows that we pretty much have a mutual understand for the words and what they mean to us individually.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with all 3 of your peoples defined diversity and culture. I also agree that we all have out differs and we have to make sure that our difference are understood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jasmine,
    I find it very interesting that the individuals I asked response were similar to mine at the start of this class. The individuals that you questioned had some interesting defintions indeed. As they talked all I could do was smile, because I could hear myself in their words. However, as the conversations continued they too realized that the answers they had given were only surface level answers, but it also made them think more in-depth.

    ReplyDelete